to say nothing of the dog

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Flaming Souffle

On Saturday, the world witnessed the birth of a new and inventive foodstuff. It arose like the phoenix, in flames. Or maybe a better analogy is the Fire of London.

Katie and Adam and I decided to have a dinner party amongst ourselves. It was my birthday last week, and I had properly celebrated my 25th anniversary by staying up until 4 a.m., surrounded by celebrities. In other words, I was an extra. It was cold last Tuesday, around 3 in the morning, pretending to have a good time with people so wet behind the ears, their hair dripped. But it was also REALLY COOL. I got to ride in the car with publicity phobic celebrities! Woo!

I'm hopeless, I think. It also meant that I didn't get to go out to eat for my birthday. Hence...

Featured in our menu was portobella-blue brie-white wine pasta, and for the side, artichoke with lemon-butter sauce. Katie was in charge of dessert theme. First, she went to Chinatown for mangoes and sweet sticky rice. The rice ended up being sticky (though not sweet), but with mystery filling embedded in the center.

Next!

We inspected my cupboards and fridge and cookbooks and decided that a hot fruit souffle would encompass both the grapefruit and the mangoes.

And you know what goes great with tropical fruit? RUM!

And do you know what rum is? FLAMMABLE!

We also found out that Adam's feelings get hurt when his fiancee and one of her best friends snigger for hours about the hilarious combination of mango-grapefruit-rum flambe and artichoke water.

The evening ended in ice cream and gratitude for lives being saved from a flame worse than death.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home